Europe Bike Sharing Market 2023 – 2030 by application type (tourism and commuting), rental duration type (short-term and long-term) - Partner & Customer Ecosystem (Product Services, Proposition & Key Features) Competitive Index & Regional Footprints by MarketDigits
Industry : Automotive & Transportation | Pages : 182 Pages | Published On : Jul 2023
The Europe bike sharing market, valued at USD 2.9 billion, is projected to reach USD 7.98 billion in the next five years, exhibiting a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period.
The bike sharing market in Europe faced substantial losses due to the impact of COVID-19. The restrictions and lockdown measures resulted in decreased demand for bike-sharing services. Concerns about crowded places and the need for social distancing prompted customers to shift their preferences towards personal bikes and scooters. However, with the easing of lockdown measures and government relaxations, the demand for bike-sharing in Europe is experiencing a resurgence and is expected to witness significant growth in the forecast period. For example,
• In March 2022, a French startup called Motto announced its plan to offer electric bicycles for rent in Paris. Instead of purchasing the bikes, customers can rent them for a fixed monthly fee of EUR 75 (USD 79.93).
Over the medium term, the growing awareness of the benefits offered by bike-sharing services and the presence of prominent players are expected to drive the demand for bike sharing in Europe. Consumers today are reluctant to invest heavily in commodities that are only used for a short period. Therefore, players in the region are supporting and launching new services in European countries. For instance,
• In May 2022, Inurba Mobility, a new brand of Citybike Global, introduced an electric public service in Stockholm, Sweden. The service started with 1,000 electric bikes, and the total deployment is expected to reach 5,100 by the end of the year. It is set to become one of Europe's largest public e-bike-sharing services.
The bike-sharing system caters specifically to commuters who can conveniently pick up bicycles as per their needs. With its hassle-free operation, low maintenance, and affordable pricing, bike sharing is gaining popularity in the European markets. Chinese bike-sharing models have made a significant impact on the European bike-sharing market. Nowadays, several local operators are also launching their own bike-sharing businesses. Furthermore, bikes contribute to reduced traffic congestion due to their smaller volume.
E-bikes, which offer the same utility as traditional two-wheelers with the added benefit of reduced environmental impact, are also gaining popularity in European countries. Young engineers and entrepreneurs with expertise in design and innovation see the e-bike industry as a massive opportunity, particularly in the European markets. For example,
• In August 2022, ESB eBikes, an e-bike pilot project launched by Irish energy supplier ESB in Dublin, subsidized the daily hire cost for subscribers, starting at EUR 5 (USD 5.33) per day. Without a subscription, the full-day cost is EUR 10 (USD 10.66). Users are required to return the bike to the same station by midnight.
Germany, the United Kingdom, Belgium, and other countries are expected to hold a significant market share due to the growing bike-sharing activities and infrastructure development in these regions.
Europe Bike Sharing Industry Segmentation
Bike sharing is a shared transporting service in which bikes and scooters are shared among individuals on a short-term basis for a better and more affordable price structure.
The Europe Bike Sharing Market is segmented by rental duration type (short-term and long-term), by application type (tourism and commuting), and by country (Germany, United Kingdom, Italy, France, and the rest of Europe). The report offers market size and forecast for all the above segments in value (USD billion).
Europe Bike Sharing Market Trends
This section presents the key trends that are shaping the Europe Bike Sharing Market, based on the insights from our research experts:
E-Bikes Likely to be fastest-growing segment During the Forecast Period
Stringent laws and regulations implemented by European governments to reduce vehicle emissions have led to a focus on reducing vehicle weight for improved fuel efficiency by automotive manufacturers and component suppliers. Electric vehicles are a significant step towards emission reduction in many developing economies.
Governments are offering incentives such as subsidies and tax exemptions to promote the purchase of electric vehicles, which has a positive impact on the demand for electric bike sharing services.
Electric 2-wheelers, powered by Li-ion rechargeable batteries, are environmentally friendly. They can provide a maximum range of 99.4 miles (160 km) on a single charge. With options for 8, 12, or 18 Amp-hour batteries, customers have the flexibility to choose based on their needs.
Furthermore, electric rental companies for 2-wheelers are enhancing their services by providing 24/7 customer support, free pick-up and drop-off at designated locations, helmets, first aid kits, and even mounted phone holders for navigation. Optional accessories, such as free 4G internet or pocket Wi-Fi, are popular in tourist spots to enhance customer satisfaction. As a result, players in the European region are launching e-bike sharing services. For example,
• In October 2022, Barcelona's public transportation company unveiled the infrastructure for the upcoming AMBici bike-sharing service, which will cover the entire Barcelona Metropolitan Area. The service is scheduled to launch at the beginning of the following year and will be available in 15 Catalan municipalities. AMBici will provide residents with 2,600 electric bicycles and 236 stations, offering better, more flexible, and sustainable mobility options.
Additionally, the growing on-demand transportation market has also contributed to the popularity of e-scooters. These modernized versions of classic scooters have been converted into electric vehicles by e-scooter manufacturers. They are considered a superior option as they run on electricity and can travel long distances without causing harm to the environment.
Germany and United Kingdom Expected to Play Key role in the Market
Over the next five years, the bike-share sector is projected to experience a 20-30% annual growth, increasing from 3-5 vehicles per 1000 residents in major European cities to 10-20 cars per 1000 residents. In Europe, the cost for bike-sharing rides ranges from EUR 0.50 to EUR 1 (USD 0.53- USD 1.07) per trip and up to EUR 3 to 4 (USD 3.20 - 4.26) for commuting to and from work. On average, commuters spend around EUR 10-12 (USD 10.66 - 12.79) for a full day of commuting. As the bike-sharing market introduces monthly travel cards, prices are expected to decrease significantly.
In 2021, Germany led the European market, accounting for approximately 40% of the market share, followed by the Netherlands and France, which captured over 11% of the overall market share. Many European bike-sharing companies have formed alliances and are operating in more than 350 cities, providing 65 million rides. A European expert group consisting of selected companies such as BiciMAD, Donkey Republic, Mobike, and Moventiaa is advocating strongly in the bike-sharing sector.
Recent developments in the EU have embraced the market for E-bike sharing, leading to increased sales. For example:
• In May 2022, CONEBI collaborated with the European Cyclist Association to highlight the need for better and more effective fuel tax subsidies across the EU. These new fuel subsidies are expected to enable 5.3 billion bike-sharing services to be provided free of charge.
Given the advancements in electric mobility and bike-sharing incentives in Germany and the UK, the demand for bike-sharing services is expected to witness a significant sales increase in Europe during the forecast period.
The Europe Bike Sharing Market is characterized by significant fragmentation, with numerous startups and regional players such as Byke, Urbo Solutions, Bleeper Bike, Cloudbike, Rekola, YoBike, Pony Bikes, and the Donkey Republic. However, to gain a competitive advantage over their rivals, major bike manufacturers are forming joint ventures and partnerships to introduce new products. For example:
• In March 2021, Rekola launched bike-sharing services in Bratislava's forests in response to tightened anti-coronavirus measures and recommendations for people to explore the countryside.
• In January 2021, Bleeper raised nearly EUR 600,000 (USD 639,411) to expand its bike-sharing fleet and is planning the rollout of e-scooters.
Several bike manufacturers are engaged in constructive alliances with fleet management operators to enhance the bike-sharing market in Europe.
Europe Bike Sharing Market Leaders
Rekola Bikesharing s.r.o
Europe Bike Sharing Market News
• In June 2022, Audi, a premium car manufacturer, unveiled an ultra-rapid charge hub site in Germany. The e-lounge provides charging facilities for electric vehicles and also includes an e-bike-sharing feature.
• In May 2022, Maribor introduced a new bike-sharing system called Mbajk in the Slovenian city of Maribor. This system comprises 210 bicycles located at 21 stations in the city center.
• In April 2022, Galilo announced its participation in an electric bike-sharing program in the Barcelona metropolitan area. The program, managed by Transports Metropolitana de Barcelona, will consist of 2,600 electric bikes stationed at 236 docking stations across 15 municipalities.
Europe Bike Sharing Industry Report
Table and Figures
At MarketDigits, we take immense pride in our 360° Research Methodology, which serves as the cornerstone of our research process. It represents a rigorous and comprehensive approach that goes beyond traditional methods to provide a holistic understanding of industry dynamics.
This methodology is built upon the integration of all seven research methodologies developed by MarketDigits, a renowned global research and consulting firm. By leveraging the collective strength of these methodologies, we are able to deliver a 360° view of the challenges, trends, and issues impacting your industry.
The first step of our 360° Research Methodology™ involves conducting extensive primary research, which involves gathering first-hand information through interviews, surveys, and interactions with industry experts, key stakeholders, and market participants. This approach enables us to gather valuable insights and perspectives directly from the source.
Secondary research is another crucial component of our methodology. It involves a deep dive into various data sources, including industry reports, market databases, scholarly articles, and regulatory documents. This helps us gather a wide range of information, validate findings, and provide a comprehensive understanding of the industry landscape.
Furthermore, our methodology incorporates technology-based research techniques, such as data mining, text analytics, and predictive modelling, to uncover hidden patterns, correlations, and trends within the data. This data-driven approach enhances the accuracy and reliability of our analysis, enabling us to make informed and actionable recommendations.
In addition, our analysts bring their industry expertise and domain knowledge to bear on the research process. Their deep understanding of market dynamics, emerging trends, and future prospects allows for insightful interpretation of the data and identification of strategic opportunities.
To ensure the highest level of quality and reliability, our research process undergoes rigorous validation and verification. This includes cross-referencing and triangulation of data from multiple sources, as well as peer reviews and expert consultations.
The result of our 360° Research Methodology is a comprehensive and robust research report that empowers you to make well-informed business decisions. It provides a panoramic view of the industry landscape, helping you navigate challenges, seize opportunities, and stay ahead of the competition.
In summary, our 360° Research Methodology is designed to provide you with a deep understanding of your industry by integrating various research techniques, industry expertise, and data-driven analysis. It ensures that every business decision you make is based on a well-triangulated and comprehensive research experience.
- Tailored advice to Drive your Performance
- Product Planning Strategy
- New Product Stratergy
- Expanded Research Scope
- Comprehensive Research
- Strategic Consulting
- Provocative and pragmatic
- Accelerate Revenue & Growth
- Evaluate the competitive landscape
- Optimize your partner network
- Analyzing industries
- Mapping trends
- Strategizing growth
- Implementing plans
Covered Key Topics
Market Growth Drivers
Leading Market Players
Company Market Share
Market Size and Growth Rate
Market Trend and Technological